FAQ about PGD
Indications for PGD are –
- Advanced maternal age ( > 35 years)
- Recurrent miscarriage
- Repeated IVF/ICSI –ET failure cycles
- Unexplained infertility
- Male factor
- Known genetic causes.
PGD is used to diagnose number of genetic disorders for eg.
- sex linked disorders like
- Hemophilia, fragile x syndrome, neuromuscular dystrophies.
- Rett syndrome, vitamin D – resistant rickets
- Single gene disorders like, down syndrome, cystic fibrosis, sickle-cell-disease, Thalassaemia
After the biopsy the embryo are kept in culture media for further development till the result comes. Once the results are ready, the 5 days old embryos called blastocyst which are free of genetic disease are transformed to woman’s womb.