Surrogate Selection and screening
Infertile couple who qualify for IVF surrogate parenting elect to solicit the assistance of empathetic friends or family members who agree to act as surrogates. Other couples elect to solicit surrogates through media advertising.
Surrogate Screening :
Once the surrogate has been selected, she undergoes a full medical and laboratory evaluation. These include following.
- A careful medical and family history
- A thorough physical examination
- A psychological evaluation
- Blood test for HIV, Hepatitis B & C an other sexually transmitted disease
- Cervical cultures for organisms such as Chlamydia and urea plasma
- An evaluation of the uterus by hysteroscopy
- Blood test for prolactin and thyroid stimulation hormone.
Stimulation of ovary – retrieval of eggs insemination, Embryo transfer all these steps are as described earlier.
Some points to remember
Using a family member as a surrogate :
It is better when a family member offers to server as a surrogate as it is comforting to have personal knowledge of your surrogate’s medical history and background.