Cryopreservation of semen involves the cooling of a sperm and storage at a temperature where all metabolic processes are arrested. In practice, frozen sperms are stored at the temp. of -196°C in liquid nitrogen.
Indications for sperm cryopreservation :
Frozen sperm can be divided into two categories
- Semen for auto conservation and
- Donor semen
Reasons for Auto conservation :
“Long-term” cryopreseration of sperm is designed to ensure later fertility in men who have to undergo
- Radio or chemotherapy – which might lead to sterility
- Surgical sterilization by vasectomy
“ short–term” storage of sperm can be useful in case of …
- stress with regard to collection of semen on demand on the day of IUI or IVF
- Absent husband during the wife’s treatment and
- Large variations in individual sperm quality.
Sperm Banking at our Centre :
Cryobanks are the vehicles used to realize the clinical and research application of cryopreserved cells . A most important component of sperm bank is its usefulness to infertile couple. Here at our centre following facilities are available …
- ‘Long-term’ & “short term” semen cryopreservation
- Concentration for oligozoospermia
- Standard and pre-processed Anyonymous donor semen bank.